Sunday, April 22

Apple pie

It's a Sunday, I figured I should at least do something productive and I have a lot of apples in the refrigerator, thanks to free fruits from the office. And since it's a waste to let the fruits go to waste, I thought I'd bake some apple pies. I haven't baked apple pies before so it was a bit of a challenge - you'll see why.
I used this recipe by momswhothink as a reference for my apple pies.
Ingredients:
For pie filling:
4 large apples, peeled and sliced
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 Tablespoons butter
1 egg yolk beaten + some milk (to brush over the pastry)

For the pie crust:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 oz butter, chilled and diced
1/2 cup ice water

Directions: 
Preparing the pie crust: 
1. Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl.
2. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Stir in the ice water, a Tablespoon at a time, until the crust mixture forms a ball.
4. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
5. Sprinkle flour onto rolling surface. Roll dough out, and place crust in pie plates, pressing evenly into bottom and sides.

Preparing the filling:
1. In a large bowl, toss the sliced apples with lemon juice.
2. Combine sugars, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to apples and toss well to coat.
3. Fill pastry lined pan with apple mixture. Dot with butter.
4. Place second crust on top of pie filling, cut slits in top of crust to vent. Seal the edges of the crust with a fork or by hand.
5. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk and milk. Brush mixture over top crust.
6. Bake at 200C for 15 minutes.
7. Reduce heat to 180C and bake for a few more minutes until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.

My crust crumbled when I cut into it. Not too sure why it was so. Taste-wise, I thought it was pretty close to good old-fashioned apple pies. Definitely need more practice on making pie crusts. As usual, I'm a lazy baker and I didn't pre-prepare the dough, so maybe that was the cause.
Also I found that I over-filled the pies so some of the filling overflowed out through the slits. Ah well, for a first try, at least my pie tasted quite alright. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment