Wednesday, April 11

Chicken cordon bleu with mushroom gravy

Yay for holidays!
I haven't been cooking in a while but I had a good reason to because my bestie came over to spend the afternoon with me today. As usual, my side of the deal is to prepare lunch.

I decided that I wanted something hearty and sinful. But the health freak in me was keeping me in check. As a compromise, I whipped up a hearty chicken cordon bleu with mushroom gravy and boiled vegetables on the side. Vegetables are healthy, right? :) And yes, I made sure my meat was lean and skinless.
Cordon bleu is one of my guilty pleasures because of all the ham and gooey cheese. It's also one of my favourites from my regular western food shop just around the corner from where I live.
It's my first time cooking this and to my surprise, it wasn't that hard to prepare and it turned out very well indeed.
Ingredients:
2 pieces boneless skinless chicken breast meat
2 slices deli ham
2 slices cheddar cheese
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp tarragon
2 Tbsp cooking oil
A few toothpicks

For the sauce:
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
5 brown mushroom, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp tarragon
1/2 can mushroom soup (okay I cheated a little :p)
1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Directions:
1. Wash the chicken breast meat well. Begin by slicing a pocket into the chicken breasts. Fill up with ham and cheese. I sliced up the ham and cheese. Close up the meat pocket with toothpicks.
2. Mix the breadcrumbs and tarragon in a bowl, and coat the chicken meat.
3. Heat up oil on medium heat and pop the chicken meat in, cook well on both sides. Then remove and pop into the oven heated to 180C for about 20 minutes.
4. While meat is in the oven, saute the garlic, onions, mushroom and tarragon. Once well cooked, add in the mushroom soup and some water. Make sure not to add too much water else the gravy will be too watery.
Let the sauce simmer and thicken.
5. Remove the chicken from the oven. Make sure the toothpicks are removed. Pour gravy over chicken, sprinkle fresh parsley over, and serve dish with some sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment