Sunday, April 8

Oatmeal

Ask me this a year ago, I'd say that oatmeal was disgusting and there was no way I would ever voluntarily eat it.
But ask me now, I would have to say that this is one of my favourite comfort food! This is all thanks to my friend in Sydney who prepared oatmeal breakfast for me one morning and I didn't want to be ungrateful and tell her that oatmeal looked like vomit. I imagined myself having to pinch my nose and force myself to swallow spoonful after spoonful of oatmeal.

Lo and behold to my surprise, the oatmeal was delicious! How I went through three decades of trying to escape having to eat something so yummy was beyond disbelief. Appearances definitely can be deceiving. Not only is oatmeal easy to prepare (5 minutes tops!), it is also very nutritious (good for keeping cholesterol levels down), satisfying, and delicious! I like mine with brown sugar and dried cranberries.
Ingredients: 
1/2 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup fresh milk or 1 Tbsp milk powder
Brown sugar to taste
Handful of dried cranberries

Directions:
1. Add the water in a saucepan. Bring to boil and turn down to simmer.
2. Add in the rolled oats, the milk/milk powder and sugar to taste. Stir for about 20 seconds. The oatmeal will thicken fast so it depends what kind of texture is preferred. I like my oatmeal thick and chunky. Overcooking will result in creamy porridge-like texture which I don't prefer. If that happens, I add a little bit more rolled oats in.
3. Remove saucepan from stove. Add in the dried cranberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment