Saturday, June 2

Zucchini salad

It's been a while since I last updated this blog. :p
It's not that I haven't been cooking but some things that I cook are repeat recipes, so I don't quite see the point of repeating my posts.

I have a BBQ party to attend tonight, and I wasn't really planning on bringing anything else other than konnyaku jelly (which requires minimal effort to prepare because I've been so busy with work lately). At the last minute, I had some free time on my hands so it's a pretty impulsive last minute decision. I made a quick spree to the market to grab some ingredients.

I'm not a big fan of cucumbers, but I'll eat zucchinis. I was first introduced to this awesome dish by my SIL when she prepared this for dinner one night. Since then, I've been meaning to try this out but haven't had the chance. Until now. :)
Ingredients:
3 medium-sized zucchinis
1 small bunch of Chinese parsley
1 large yellow onion
1 lemon
A handful of dried shrimp
A handful of peanuts
1 Tbsp fish sauce
2 Tbsp sugar

Directions: 
1. Saute the dried shrimp till dry and crispy. Put aside to cool.
2. Saute the peanuts till fragrant. Put aside to cool. When cool, remove the shell off the peanuts.
3. Wash the vegetables properly. Grate the skin off the zucchini and slice thinly.
4. Thinly slice the onions. Cut up the Chinese parsley. Mix the vegetables together and toss.
5. Pour in the fish sauce, squeeze the lemon and add sugar to taste.
6. Use a pestle to pound the dried shrimp until fine texture, and add into the vegetable mix.
7. Pound the peanuts till moderately fine. Add into the vegetable mix.
8. Toss again and taste. Chill the salad till ready to serve.
I love the tangy taste of the lemon/fish sauce mixture. That, combined with the crunchiness of the zucchini and onions, and the fragrance of the peanuts and dried shrimp, makes this an extremely delicious salad. Easy to prepare, healthy and yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment