Thursday, March 8

Kailan with Oyster Sauce

I rarely have to cook dinner for myself so I consider myself to be a quite lucky girl. Cooking for one can sometimes be very troublesome and because I'm lazy, I like to cook simple dishes that don't require much effort in terms of preparation.

Tonight's dinner was kailan cooked with oyster sauce. I've recently developed a liking for kailan (or Chinese kale) after a recent trip to China. It's rather ironic because until a few years ago, I never liked leafy vegetables much less eat them on purpose. I've slowly learnt to appreciate the leafy stuff and this particular veg is one of my current favourites. I like it even more because preparing it is so effortless but the result still tastes so good. You'll see why.
Ingredients:
200 grams of medium-sized kailan
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp light soy sauce
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
Small pinch of salt and pepper

Directions:
1. Wash and soak the vegetables in lightly salted water for about 15 minutes.
2. Boil a pot of water over high flame, then blanch the kailan for about 1-2 minutes. Drain and arrange on a serving dish.
3. Heat wok with vegetable oil, saute the shallot and garlic until fragrant and lightly golden. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then add the light soy sauce.
4. In a little bowl, add 1 Tbsp water to the oyster sauce and stir until liquid thickens. Pour into the shallot and garlic mixture, top off with sesame oil. Pour immediately onto the vegetables and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment