Tuesday, March 20

Carrot cake

Somehow carrot cakes don't seem as naughty as other cakes.
I love carrot cakes because of the crunchy nuts and the sultanas. Some recipes add pineapple bits but I prefer not to. This is one of my easiest fail-proof recipes and it never fails to disappoint me.

And since the brother was back in town, I had a perfect reason to bake. I try not to bake so often for the sake of my diet :p
Baking today was literally the epitome of baking with love. It's hard to understand why some people slave in the kitchen just for the sake of a good meal for their family to enjoy, until you go through it yourself. I started baking at 11pm last night and by the time I finished frosting my cakes and packing them up in takeaway boxes, it was almost 2am. All for the sake of my family to enjoy.
Ingredients: 
For the cake:
8 oz unsalted butter
8 oz caster sugar
8 oz self-raising flour
4 eggs
1 tsp mixed spice
4 oz chopped walnuts
5 oz freshly grated carrots
2 Tbsp sultanas

For the frosting:
7 oz cream cheese
6 oz icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp lemon juice
3 Tbsp chopped walnuts

Directions:
Baking the cake:
1. Mix the butter, sugar and flour together and cream until the mixture is creamy.
2. Add in the eggs, one by one. Continue creaming for a few more minutes.
3. Fold in the mixed spice, walnuts and sultanas until well mixed. 
4. Pour mixture into cake tins lined with parchment paper. Don't forget to rub a thin film of butter over the parchment paper. 
5. Preheat oven to 175 C and bake for 45 mins or so. Test with a toothpick.

Preparing the frosting:
1. Cream the cream cheese, icing sugar, vanilla extract and lemon juice until there are no lumpy bits.
2. Lather a thin layer over a cooled cake. 
3. Top with chopped walnuts.
And as usual, my carrot cake was a hit! I'm so glad. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment