Friday, January 13

New York style cheesecake cupcakes

For a BBQ party that I'm attending tomorrow night, I was given the task of bringing dessert. I'm the designated dessert lady, so says my friend, so I find expectations running high and it's a little intimidating. That said, I'm so excited about this major food fest because there seems to be so many different types of yummy food on the menu!

I was cracking my head today about what dessert I should make, and it had to be something that I've tried and tested working. My choices were between a mousse, panna cotta or a cheesecake. The cheesecake obviously won because it is something that I'm most familiar with baking plus a simple cheesecake would be fast to bake. And with all the meat that I'm expecting, I thought that a little lemon would definitely be refreshing.

I made a New York style cheesecake based on an adaptation from the Joy of Baking website. I hope my decadent little cuppies are a hit!
Ingredients: (Yields about 12-15 cupcakes)
For the crust:
1 cup digestive crumbs
4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
A handful of almond flakes, lightly toasted

For the filling:
2 packets of cream cheese (8oz x 2)
2/3 cups granulated white sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1/2 cup sour cream

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
2. For the base, combine the biscuit crumbs, melted butter, almond and sugar. Stir together until well blended and all  the ingredients are moistened. Press about 1 Tbsp of the mixture into the bottom of the cupcake liner. Pop the tray into the refrigerator while preparing the filling.
3. For the filling, beat the cream cheese on medium-high speed until creamy and smooth. Add in the salt and sugar, and beat till combined. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
4. Add in the lemon zest, vanilla extract and sour cream. Continue beating until incorporated.
5. Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the cheesecake batter over the crust, divide the filling among the muffin cups.
6. Bake at 150C until filling is set, for about 25 minutes. The cakes have to feel firm even though the centers may wobble a little. Transfer to a wire cooling rack and let the cakes cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap or keep the cakes in a covered container and refrigerate overnight.
7. Serve cold with fresh fruits.

No comments:

Post a Comment