Saturday, January 14

Chicken and mushroom quesadilla

Quesadillas make me think about Texas. A LOT.
Quesadillas are one of my favourite Tex-mex food of all time (I love them even more than baby back ribs and beef briskets), unrivalled only by crispy tacos. Thinking about them makes me miss my neighbourhood cafe in Austin - Magnolia cafe, which I think serves the best quesadillas around.

Today I had the honour of cooking lunch for my bestie who came to spend an afternoon with me. And since she likes anything cheese, eggs and mushroom, the thing that came to my mind was quesadillas. They are easy to prepare, healthy and nutritious, and they are super yummy. And I must add that it helped that I was craving some Tex-mex too.

Quesadillas (queso in Spanish means cheese) are essentially toasted tortillas with melted cheese inside. I added grilled chicken, sauteed onions and mushroom, and chopped tomatoes in mine. You can easily switch to whatever fillings to suit your taste or you can even use whatever ingredients that are available in your fridge. Ideally quesadillas taste best served with sour cream, guacamole or even salsa, but unfortunately I didn't have any at the moment.
Ingredients:
One pack flour tortillas
2 large onions, finely sliced
Sliced mushroom (I used 5 baby bellas)
1 fillet chicken breast meat
2 tomatoes, diced
Olive oil
Grated cheddar and mozzarella, but basically any type of cheese would taste just as good
Salt and pepper

Directions:
1. Wash the chicken fillet well and blot dry with paper towels. Marinade with salt and pepper. Grill on medium heat until well cooked. Transfer the chicken to the cutting board and chop into tiny bite-sized cubes.
2. Saute the onions and mushrooms until the onions are somewhat caramelized and the mushroom is well cooked.
3. Heat up a frying pan to medium high heat and place one tortilla on the pan. Flip the tortilla over a few times until it is warm on both sides.
4. Sprinkle a handful of grated cheese over half of the tortilla, followed by the onions and mushroom, chicken pieces and tomatoes, and then sprinkle a little bit more grated cheese on top. Be careful not to layer too much ingredients too thickly because you don't want the filling to overflow.
5. Fold the tortilla into half, just like a sandwich. Use a frying pan to press the top of the folded tortilla flat. Flip it over to brown the other side. Be careful not too leave it too long on each side because the tortillas burn easily. 
6. Remove from pan and cut into wedges. Serve with sour cream, guacamole and salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment